Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Shipwreck Weather

A life on the ocean wave, 
A-home on the rolling deep! 
Where the scater'd waters rave, 
And the winds their revels keep. 
Like an eagle caged I pine On this dull, 
unchanging shore. 
Oh give me the flashing brine, 
The spray and the tempest's roar.
-A Life on the Ocean Wave (Trad.)

The 65' Schooner "Ingomar" faring none-to-well in Spring gales off Morro Bay.

Sea shanties (from the French word "chanter" meaning "to sing") are traditional shipboard working songs used to bolster morale and to ease hardships.  

Seems every Spring when bracing nor'westers howl, and surf checks often lead to disappointment, I often remain with longing gaze, searching the horizon for Summer swells before finally turning up my collar, tugging down my beanie and humming as I take my leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment